For many book lovers like me, summer is the season to dive into a few new books. Whether at the beach or relaxing at home, take the plunge with one of these new releases chosen by “The Millions” as Most Anticipated for 2014. Also, scroll down for a link to great lists of Mermaid books on Goodreads.
1. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
2. Last Stories and Other Stories by William T. Vollmann
3. Mount Terminus by David Grand
4. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
5. The Brunist Day of Wrath by Robert Coover
6. To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris
7. A Place in the Country by W.G. Sebald
8. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi
9. Min kamp 3 (Min kamp, #3) by Karl Ove Knausgård
10. The Snow Queen by Michael Cunningham
I recommend The Invention of Wings by Kidd, also in Oprah’s Book Club. It’s the story of “Handful,” an urban slave in early 19th-century Charleston SC, and her reluctant owner, Sarah Grimke. Both women long for something larger in their worlds but are limited by society’s attitudes regarding gender and race.
If you’re lured into the watery depths in search of Mermaid books, check out these lists on Goodreads. There are plenty of Mermaid Tales for all the Fin-atics out there: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/mermaids
What’s your favorite summer read?